If you know anything about anything, surely you’re aware that today is Antikas’ birthday. Our resident programmer and curmudgeon celebrates his 427th birthday today so, in commemoration, I thought we’d run through some important historical events which took place on Antikas’ past birthdays.
- 2004 – The last Po’ouli (Black-faced honeycreeper) dies of Avian malaria in the Maui Bird Conservation Center in Olinda, Hawaii before it could breed, making the species in all probability extinct. Nice going, Antikas.
- 1977 – The death of world famous sumo wrestler, and 43rd Yokozuna, Yoshibayama Junnosuke!
- 1965 – In the Hammaguir launch facility in the Sahara Desert, France launches a Diamant-A rocket with its first satellite, Asterix-1 on board, becoming the third country to enter outer space.
- 1951 – Cicciolina, famed Italian politician and porn actress, is born.
- 1938 – Rich Little is born, and proceeds to be awesome until his death in… wait, what? He’s still alive? Colour me embarrassed.
- 1922 – Charles M. Schulz, creator of Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang, is born.
- 1805 – Official opening of Thomas Telford‘s Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. Antikas was in attendance and recalls that the party was “good, really good.”
- 1778 – In the Hawaiian Islands, Captain James Cook becomes the first European to visit Maui.
- 1604 – Johannes Bach, German composer and musician, is born, and I’m 98% confident that he is actually dead.
Happy Birthday, Antikas, but not too happy. At your age, the strain of trying to stand up, let alone dance might be enough to give you a hernia.