Minecraft players are no strangers to buggy updates. Unfortunately, Mojang has admitted in a statement this morning that 1.24 has a severe world generator crash bug. In essense, the game randomly crashes to the ‘Saving chunks’ screen when moving around and creating new world data. Some have also reported this seems to be triggered when switching biomes.
The good news? Mojang has made a pre-release of 1.25 available that corrects this problem.
There is a caveat for server owners such as myself, best described by Jens:
We are aware that many of you use modded clients or play on the bukkit server implementation, and that patches causes a lot of overhead for you. Neither are officially supported of course, but it’s not in our interest to make it hard for people to play the game. The best compromise we could come up with was to make a pre-release of 1.2.5 today, and then update the game “for real” a few days later. This will give both modders and bukkit a few days to prepare for the release.
1.24 seemed like a minor update, featuring some bugfixes, and introducing new half slab combinations, different tones for planks, and a few other blocks. Listed were also many improvements for SMP (thanks Bukkit team!)
Server owners who recently upgraded yesterday to Bukkit’s new 1.24 Recommended Build may want to caution their players from exploring new areas, and ensure they have working backups. Failing that, get familiar with MCEdit so you can fix your maps.
Changes for 1.25:
- Added shift clicking support in furnaces
- Added method to easily acquire blocks you have selected in the world in Creative mode using the ‘pick block’ key
- Made the Direct Connect dialog remember the last IP for the current session
- Fixed issues detected certain links in chat
- Fixed wild ocelots behaving like tamed cats
- Fixed various chat crashes
- Made cats less eager to sit on things
- Made cats less patient
- Fixed world generation failing under certain circumstances
- Fixed issues turning off sound under certain circumstances
- Removed all ghost entities under the command of Lord Herobrine
- Fixed crash when pasting certain characters in chat
- Fixed slash ‘/’ key not behaving correctly in certain environments
- Fixed command matching being too greedy (for example: typing ‘/stophammertime’ no longer stops your server)
- Fixed not being able to click coloured links
- Fixed potential issue with village door detection (which could cause too many villagers)
- Made using a stack of bowls on Mooshrooms not consume the whole stack of bowls
- Made punching a TNT block with flint and steel in hand destroy and drop a TNT block (right-clicking will activate the TNT)
The ETA for 1.25’s official release is Wednesday April 4, at 15:00 CEST.